Brown Studio History
By the spring of 1916, Margaret Brown took over the photography studio previously owned by G.K. Miller. The Millers Studios ad formally announced that she took over as proprietor. In the next known advertisement, the business name changed to the Brown Studio.
"Pedagogue Work a Specialty" refers to photography for the student yearbook, the Pedagogue. (The yearbook, known as the Pedagogue from 1904-1917, changed its title slightly and became the Pedagog starting with the 1918 issue.) Some of Margaret's earliest work appears in the 1917 Pedagogue.
This short news item from April 1918 states that Margaret Brown had purchased new items for her studio, indicating that her business was growing.
Advertisements for the Brown Studio appeared in local papers, including the campus newspaper and yearbook, over the next few decades.
Ads printed in the local newspapers, such as the San Marcos Times and the Normal Star (later College Star) note that the studio offers "high class" photography and indicate that school work, such as photographs for the yearbook, are a specialty.
Brown supported the yearbook by purchasing ads, and there are examples of the student newspaper thanking local businesses - including the Brown Studio - for their support.