Marker for the Franciscan Missions

Item

Title
Marker for the Franciscan Missions
Description
This marker is found within the grounds of the now defunct Aquarena Springs Park. The marker commemorates the "approximate" locations of the missions.

Marker Text:
Established by Franciscan missionaries in 1749 with the hope of civilizing and christianizing the Coco, Mayeye, Orcoquiza, Karankawa, and other tribes of Indians. The martyrdom of Padre Jose Ganzabal and the circumstances connected therewith caused the departure of the Indians and the friars and the removal of this mission to the San Marcos River in 1755. Reestablished in 1762 on the San Saba River for the conversion of the Lipan Apaches with the new name of Mission Santa Cruz de San Saba.
Contributor
Digital and Web Services at the Alkek Library
Creator
Jeremy D. Moore
Date
08-04-15
Format
JPG
Identifier
AS_Aquarena_2015_042
Language
English
Publisher
Texas State University
Rights
This image is presented for research and educational purposes only, and may not be distributed or re-published without permission from the University Archives, Texas State University.
Subject
Historical marker for the Franciscan Missions in San Marcos, Texas
Original Format
State Historical Marker

Position: 606 (7 views)