Beloved sculpture Fighting Stallions was given to the Southwest Teachers State College in 1951 by renowned sculptor Anna Hyatt Huntington and her husband Archer Huntington. The first woman artist elected into the American Academy of Arts and Letters, Huntington donated her seventeen-foot tall aluminum creation as a show of support for a southern collegiate institution. She also believed students and faculty would appreciate her work, as she thought Texans were especially fond of horses.
Both postcards show the sculpture’s original base, which was designed by Wimberley artist Buck Winn. Local citizens, alumni, and donors contributed to fund the base’s creation, whose granite was shipped from Llano at the efforts of alumnus C.W. Wimberley. The statue now rests on a new base in the west end of the Quad, where it demarcates the university’s free speech area for students.