Sevey Boarding House and Annex was one of many early boarding houses that surrounded the Normal School. Until the establishment of dormitories and residence halls in the 1930s, most students would reside in these local boarding houses. Students would pay homes like Sevey $15–18 a month for food and accommodations. Located at 626 N. Cedar Street, Sevey Boarding House began operations in 1904, becoming one of twelve all-female boarding houses established by 1926. Over 1,600 young women resided at Sevey Boarding House during their time at the Normal School. Sevey Boarding House was eventually demolished; the Academic Services Building now resides in its former location.
Along with the campus's original water tower, this postcard shows the Ward Boarding House for Girls, another one of many early boarding houses that surrounded the Normal School. Ward Boarding House, a self-described “home-like place to live,” was located at 618 N. Austin Street. Though there was some type of house fire in 1929, the disaster did not prevent Ward from continuing to accommodate students. Some students would create poems or cartoons lamenting their experiences living in local boarding houses, including Ward; many of these caricatures can be found in Pedagogs from the period.