Historic Texas Granite
In addition to gifts of time, talents, and monetary donations, the College received building materials for the project. One of the most interesting donations was facilitated by C.W. Wimberley.
The granite used in the base was salvaged from the former Texas Military Institute in Llano. The Military institute, began in the 1890s, was used for several other purposes over the years until fire destroyed the building in 1922. The darkened granite walls stood as the only reminder until 30 years later when a lumber company decided to build on the land.
Llano rancher, and Southwest Texas State Teachers College alumnus, C.W. Wimberley, was instrumental in saving the granite from simply being buried. The Cameron Building Supply Company donated the stone and Mr. Wimberley arranged for the stone to be shipped to San Marcos.
In a letter dated January 17, 1952, the manager of Cameron Company wrote to Dr. Flowers to say they are "happy to know that the granite from this fine old historical hotel which we have torn down in Llano, will be of further use to mankind." [transcription]