Huntington Fighting Stallions

Fighting Stallions Statue

In 1952 Buck Winn was commissioned by President J.G. Flowers to design the original base for the Anna Hyatt Huntington Fighting Stallions statue. His original base was 9 feet tall, raising the stallions to an intimidating 26 feet. He used granite salvaged from the former Texas Military Institute in Llano. The Military institute, began in the 1890s, was used for several other purposes over the years until fire destroyed the building in 1922. The darkened granite walls stood as the only reminder until 30 years later when a lumber company decided to build on the land. Llano rancher, and former Southwest Texas State Teachers College alum, C.W. Wimberley was instrumental in saving the granite from simply being buried. Wimberley arranged for the stone to be shipped to San Marcos to be used in Winn’s base design.

“One of the best things ever to come to Texas.” -Buck Winn on the Anna Hyatt Huntington statue

Austin landscape architect Homer L. Fry was hired to develop drawings for the esplanade of the base. His plan included using native plants from nearby pastures to give the overall scene a more realistic look. Fry donated much of his work to the college and only took minimal payment for his plans. 

When the Quad was reconstructed, Winn's original base was demolished and the stallions were moved further west to their current location in front of Evans Hall.