History of Ranching Mural

Buck Winn created the History of Ranching mural for the Pearl Brewery in San Antonio in 1950. At 280 feet it was the largest mural in the world at the time. The brewery commissioned the work to hang in the Pearl Corral, an entertainment and hospitality hall. The mural was nearly as long as a football field and covered over 2,000 square feet of canvas. It hung in the Pearl Corral for about 20 years when the new owners decided to remodel. Luckily, an employee liked the look of some of the scenes and decided to save the canvas rather than throwing it away. In 1992, thanks to a diligent search by Dr. Dorey Schmidt of Wimberley, the mural was rediscovered where it had been left - on a shelf in a work shed on the property. Sections can be seen at the Wimberly Institute of Cultures, the Hays County Government Building, and now on the second floor of the Alkek Library on Texas State University's campus. 

Click on the image to scroll through sections of the mural.

To see the mural in person visit the Alkek Library.